Because most people compose on word processors with squiggly red lines and spell checkers to point out errors, there are few excuses for misspelled words. Most mistakes are chalked up to typos or common homophones that slip through the cracks. Take our spelling quiz to brush up your skills and focus on commonly switched homophones and misspelled words. The first section focuses on words that sound the same but have different meanings. Often writers accidentally use the wrong one. The second section includes words off Dictionary.com’s frequently misspelled word list. Test your spelling knowledge!
Commonly Misused Homophones
Insert the correct word into each blank in the sentence below:
1) The child _______ refused to eat her vegetables. She was ______ going to be in trouble.
a) Defiantly b) Definitely
2) The woman relished in the _______ as her shoes were a perfect ______ to her new dress.
a) complement b) compliment
3) The company was happy to ______ the proposal, _______ they asked for some minor adjustments.
a) accept b) except
4) The school’s ______ felt her _______ duty was to support the teachers and keep the school running with discipline.
a) principal b) principle
5) The father was concerned with slimming his ______, bu the also didn’t want to _____ food from the table.
a) waist b) waste
Frequently Misspelled Words
Select the correct spelling below:
6) a state of equality, a scale, a equilibrium:
a) balance b) ballance c) balence
7) Terrible; inspiring awe:
a) awfull b) aweful c) awful
8) One who robs or steals:
a) burglar b) burgler
9) Not a professional, a beginner, a hobbyist:
a) amatuer b) amateur c) amature
10) A promise or warranty:
a) garantee b) guarantee c) garentee
11) A thousand years:
a) millennium b) millenium c) milennium
12) Something one owns:
a) posession b) possesion c) possession
13) A place to go out to eat:
a) restarant b) restaurant c) restaraunt
14) To suggest or praise:
a) recommend b) recomend c) reccommend
15) A machine that cleans your floors; an empty space:
a) vaccuum b) vacuum c) vacume
1. a, b 2. b, a 3. a, b 4. a, b 5. a, b 6. a 7. c 8. a 9. b 10. b 11. a 12. c 13. b 14. a 15. b
For more help, consult this list of Commonly Missused Words to make sure you’re not just spelling he word correctly, but that you’re using the right word to begin with. You can also continue to test your spelling on your smart device using the A+ Spelling App. My Web Writers also has additional resources for making your copy editing swifter and more accurate. Give your writers our Grammar Test and read our tips for how to Be a Better Editor. ~Kasey